Contamination Sickens Dozens at Salsa Festival

Riverside, CA – A concerning outbreak of foodborne illness has struck dozens of attendees at the 53rd annual Riverside Salsa Festival, which took place last weekend from Friday, December 15th to Sunday, December 17th. Over 50 cases of E. coli poisoning have been reported so far, making this a worrying public health situation.

Health inspectors from the Riverside County Health Department have traced the source of the contamination to a popular vendor called “Pepper Pete’s Salsa Shack.” Samples of Pete’s famous “inferno salsa” tested positive for extremely high levels of E. coli, a dangerous bacteria that can cause vomiting, stomach cramps, diarrhea and fever in those who consume it.

The contamination was discovered on Sunday afternoon when several festival-goers became violently ill after sampling salsa from Pepper Pete’s booth. Victims described suffering from severe nausea, dehydration and bloody stools – leaving emergency rooms busy with sick patients.

“I bought a cup of Pepper Pete’s hot salsa and within hours I was vomiting uncontrollably. One of my friends is still hospitalized,” said student Isabelle Martinez, 17, whose school group attended the festival on Friday. “I’ll never go near Pete’s salsa again.”

Health inspector Alicia Ortiz immediately launched an investigation into the shoddy conditions at Pete’s on-site food prep area. Photos show boxes of raw chicken stored next to produce, no hot water at hand-washing stations, and coolers without any ice. “Food safety laws exist for a reason. Negligence of this kind is unacceptable,” Ortiz noted.

Riverside mayor Lily Chang called the mass poisoning a “worrisome event that could have been prevented.” She vowed to prohibit Pepper Pete’s from selling at next year’s festival until the food vendor proves that they have implemented safety reforms.

The Riverside Salsa Festival is promising increased scrutiny of all food vendors in the future. “We will double down on safety to restore trust and prevent anyone from getting sick ever again,” said festival director Rita Vega at a press conference on Tuesday. She encouraged victims to contact a doctor and bring leftover salsa samples for lab testing.

Pepper Pete’s faces multiple lawsuits from injured customers, as well as potential criminal charges. The long-running family business has been a popular fixture at community events for decades. But after the salsa E. coli incident, their future in Riverside remains uncertain.

Over a dozen festival attendees still remain hospitalized in critical condition. Doctors expect most victims to recover within 5-10 days with proper hydration and rest. This situation serves as an important reminder about the consequences of lax food safety standards for public events.

Anyone who attended the salsa festival and is experiencing symptoms of E. coli poisoning such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea should seek prompt medical attention for evaluation and treatment.

Leave a comment